Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Todd Agnew - Better Questions

I have come to really enjoy and appreciate Todd Agnew's music over the past year or so. Today I purchased his latest release Better Questions. I am not even through the entire album and I feel moved and encouraged by his honesty and authenticity. I think that some Christians cringe at that word (authenticity) as if it's too humanistic, but I think it's a concept we could explore more thoroughly in our own hearts and then in our conversations in our church community. If this is something you seek and want good company in your journey check out http://www.toddagnew.com/ Listen, read the conversations and think about who you are in relation to Christ. What are your hard questions? In the purest way I can muster, I want a man with a heart like this with whom to share my journey.

if You wanted me

I’ll admit I’m glad we’re not disciples
Out on a lake paralyzed with fright
‘Cause I’m afraid I might have laughed at Peter
Until he stepped into that stormy night

If you wanted me to walk on water
Why’d You make the solid ground seem so right?

I’ll admit I’m glad I’m not King David
Ruling over everything I see
‘Cause I think I’ve fallen for more than Bathsheba
Your creation’s a temptation for me

If you wanted me to love you only
Why’d you make the moonlight sparkle in her eyes?

I’ll admit I’m glad I’m not John the Baptist
In a jail cell waiting for my day to die
‘Cause at least down here I know what we’re chasing
And it’s hard to trust Your dreams are so much better than mine

If you wanted me to die to myself
Why’d you make me fall so deeply in love with life?

If You wanted me to surrender
Why’d You make these hands able to hold on so tight?

And if You wanted me to be like You
Why’d You make me like me?

The following is a quoatation from the Bio of Better Questions: http://www.toddagnew.com/v2/about/

“When we ask questions, God gives us answers, but they’re answers that are going to help draw you to Him, not answers that are going to help you be right,” he continues. “He’s not going to give you the answer that will let you think, ‘Oh, I’ve got it all figured out now,’ He’s going to give you the answer that is going to pull you in to Him, because that’s what you need."

To those of you at Christ Community Church who share this search and challenge me every time I see you - thank you. I am closer to my Savior because of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love you Rachel...I praise God for the way He uses us to refine eachother...so grateful for you...